Tuesday, August 9, 2011

they paved paradise......

I want to start off by saying I'm extremely thankful that I got to go on a vacation to Florida for the second year in a row. Getting out of town and having new experiences is good for me and my kids, my grandparents are great, I love Florida beaches....
However, my vacation this year was a bit overshadowed by 2 things:
1. Apprehension about leaving my kids with my grandparents in FL and not seeing them for 2 weeks (which was kinda the point of the vacation in the first place- my grandmothers idea) and
2. Uneasy feeling about the sights I saw as I once again made this 1200 mile road trip down the east coast of our country.

I decided to write a little poem to express how I feel.... here goes.

Super Target, Waffle House, Lowe's.
IHop, Walmart and Home Depot's
Next exit, take your pick
Sports Authority or Dicks
$49 per night, mini fridge, indoor pool
Try a "Coconut Frappuccino" to keep you cool
Cement, concrete, billboards so tall
Gas stations, Cracker Barrel's, countless strip-malls

We keep you running, we're what you need
Your need to belong is what we feed.
Cookie cutter, bread and butter, you've had us before, why trust another?
Come mobs of zombies, come herds of sheep
Just try some Ambien to help you sleep
Rest your head, and forget the memories
Of purple mountains majesties
Of spacious skies, for amber waves of grain
Is there even such thing anymore as a fruited plain?
Since the mighty corporation did decree
This jungle of asphalt and edifice
From sea to shining sea

Jaded,
Miss Z

1 comment:

  1. I like that poem. And I know what you're saying. And it disgusts me too. But that's what you get for traveling along 95. I bet you I could plan a route for you to Florida where you would see NONE of that

    MJ

    ReplyDelete