Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Thinking Outloud; Defining the Vision

Been battling some career indecision lately.  I knew half way through nursing school that I wasn't meant to be a nurse, and it's only been confirmed to me again and again since then.  I lucked out big time with my current job which has kept me in the nursing field, against all odds, for the last 8 years.  But my luck slowly started running out when they sacrificed our CABC (Commission for the Accreditation of Birthing Centers) accreditation 5 years ago due to budget cuts.  Now every year I feel closer and closer to the hospital floor; I've had to incorporate more and more of their policies and procedures in my work at the Birthplace, which is really starting to ruin the whole happy hippie family vibe which I loved so much. I feel in my gut that my time there will be coming to an end, probably sometime in the next year or two....

So what next? I feel like I have this one precious year to figure out the answer to this question; all my kids will be in school full days and I will continue to be on-call for the birthplace, but that usually means I'll just be... home.  I will NOT be eating bon-bons, getting hooked on daytime soaps or playing farmville.  I will be directing my energies towards embarking on the next phase of my purpose... whatever that is :-/ 

I know this: I am a teacher.  But what will I be teaching? And will I be able to earn enough to maintain my humble, yet comfortable, lifestyle? I feel somewhat ashamed to admit; I've NEVER worked a 40 hr/week job.  This is most definitely because I've had kids since I was old enough to have a job, but also because I haven't yet found something I could bear doing for 40 hours/week.  Some (most?) people accept work as work, earn their money and use it to make the best of their weekends and vacation time.  I can't do this.  I've known for a long time that I was meant for something significant....... "Significant" is the only way I can describe it, and I suppose that is almost an entirely subjective term, haha.

Think I may go back to school in the fall.  Going to attend an open house at The Graduate Institute next month.  They have Masters Degree programs in "emerging fields of study", such as, "Learning and Thinking" and "Conscious Evolution" (yes, you can get a masters degree in that!!).  I figure if i want to be the sort of teacher that works for someone else (a school) all I need is a masters degree, any masters degree, to do that, wha-la! And if I decide to start my own business, it would be this kind of self actualization and exploration that might help me to do that......

Feedback?
Sorry this may be boring to all but 2 or 3 of my friends! Help, good friends, help!
Miss Z

1 comment:

  1. Childbirth education/lactation anything like that interest you? You are so good in this field I don't want to lose you to accounting or something ;-)

    ReplyDelete