Thursday, July 14, 2011

More Garden Progress

Sorry some of you may be bored with this by now and even still more of you may even be thinking, "Seriously? It's just a dumb garden." But if you are thinking the latter I'm surprised you're reading my blog at all, get a life!

But seriously, I'm documenting this not only for anyone who is as passionate about fresh veggies as I am but also as sort of a farmers log, a diary, of what did well and what didn't so I can have some reference point for next year.  LOTS of rain alternating with hot sun would seem to be a recipe for garden success and for the most part it has been.  Only crops not doing well are the peppers. Other people's are doing well, idk what I'm doing wrong. Stopped at a roadside farm stand on Saturday and struck up a conversation with the owner about what is doing well and what's not (as I've been doing everywhere and with anyone I meet who I know gardens).  He said it's been pretty wet for peppers, so maybe that's the problem.

Everything else is doing stellar though; even the eggplants which started out looking not too promising are now bursting with buds that will hopefully soon birth beautiful, shiny, spongy fruits! :D Summer squash, cucumbers, peas, beans all producing amazingly and don't get me started on the tomatoes... they aren't even ripe yet and I already checked out a book on canning from the library, we're gonna have a shit load! We even planted some potatoes, late but we should have them by end of summer. Other root veggies came out tastey but small-ish, which I wasn't too surprised about for some reason, gotta research better before planting next year. Now for the pictures.....
Here is the main garden (there are a few smaller ones spread around the property as well).  Sorry for the angled view :P

This morning's harvest: cucumbers and summer squash (and some green beans hidden underneath)
Remember the squash I found growing out of our compost bin? It's a butternut! Isn't it cuuuuute?! :D
We planted a few watermelons under the bird feeder (thought it would look pretty) and they are doing well along with some sunflowers that sprouted up from the bird seed!!
Winter squash patch.  Look at that pumpkin! Bippity, boppity, boo!
I just love how the viney veggies grab on to stuff with their little springy fingers :D This is a cucumber with big dreams; it's already outgrown the fence and this 5 ft pole we gave it.

That's all for now folks or kids will be late for their bus to camp!

 TTFN, MizzZ

No comments:

Post a Comment