Tuesday, January 11, 2011

We are sheep, peeps.

Anyone else feeling insulted by some of these advertisements lately?  I'd like to think I'm above advertising ploys; like I'm too smart for these marketers to outwit me, no matter how much they've studied the psychology of American consumers. And yet I'll be in the grocery store contemplating over whether to buy  Arm and Hammer or Tide laundry detergent and have to admit that I feel swayed towards the Tide not because it's better in my experience but because it must be better it says so on TV and it costs more! 

What we all need to do is stop watching so much damn TV for starters.  But what started me thinking about this was not TV ads but the ones I've seen on the internet lately.  Mostly for online schools or mortgage companies it's simply a random picture or quick video that catches your eye, the picture does not relate to the headline of the advertisment but it doesn't matter; apparently if they've gotten you to look it's a win.  I'm guessing by tracking cookies, marketers have found these ads to be successful, right?  Apparently we are mindless sheep. This supports my theory that people may be devolving.  Technology has made life so easy that most people's brains just don't have to work as hard and are reverting back to primitive ways of thinking.  So a few people are evolving and they are creating technology that is causing the rest of us to devolve..... turn off the TV, step away from the shopping mall, and get back into reading and doing people or your bloodline is gonna be phased out!!

5 comments:

  1. Next time you are stuck on what laundry detergent to get...make your own! it' cheaper and more eco friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I want to. Cory and I watched another pretty good doc "No Impact Man" (Netflix has it) and they were showing how to do it and I bet you can add essential oils to it too and make it smell however you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few thoughts:
    -Just because those ads got me to look, they're not winning, because I'm not interested
    -I was thinking just a few days ago how great some online ads are, particularly on Facebook. I DO see things in the sidebar I'm interested in, mostly concerts happening, that I assume they know I'm interested in from my "likes". I wish all advertising was like that. I was sitting through so many commercials watching football the other day, and I specifically remember being like "Ughhh, I already OWN a car that I like, stop SHOWING me these cars that I both don't want and are way out of my price range". Maybe in 10 years I'll remember some commercial I saw now and think highly of some used car, but for now, advertisers would be better off tailoring advertising to things I both want and could hypothetically buy.
    -On the subject of detergents, I use Tide because that's what my parents use, but when I buy my own, I'm buying Gain. Why? Because Gain is another word for overdrive as related to guitar, and also, I feel Gain gets no respect. Valid reasons, right?

    Mr. Juice

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I decided to cut the cord from the cable company I was more affraid to live w/out tv than I was ciggs (that was easy to stop), but I knew it was the best thing for my children and it's been over 7 yrs now and I don't think twice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha juice, that's a perfectly valid reason! We were gonna cut the cable but now that Cory's moved in we have a little financial wiggle room and decided to keep it for now and just limit the kids TV time, so far so good

    ReplyDelete